Wednesday, September 05, 2012

"One box of YUMMY Triscuits"

Back when I was young and my parents thought fuelling my desires to travel the world was harmless, they gave me a copy of Dian Fossey’s book Gorillas in the Mist (For those unfamiliar with Ms Fossey, she studied gorillas in Rwanda).

My parents now probably now realise their mistake and wish they had showered me with more Mary Englebrecht, i.e. “Bloom where you’re planted,” and less Robert Louis Stevenson, i.e. “For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake.” But since the damage has been done, I notice they’ve stopped giving me books about travelling ... : )

Back on the subject, from her remote mountain location Ms Fossey sends a list home of all the supplies she needs for her camp. I don’t remember exactly what is on it; useful things of course: probably a generator or tents or something like that. I do remember at the top of the list she emphasises, “One Box of YUMMY Triscuits.” Toward the end of the list she reiterates, “Another Box of YUMMY Triscuits.”

It is the only line from the book I can quote - nay, even more: have repeatedly quoted. While travelling is my life, and exoticness the air I breathe, nonetheless, sometimes all I want is a box of YUMMY Triscuits, those woven crackers being - alas - all but impossible to find in the far-flung corners of the world. And sometimes in the near-flung corners, as well.

In the spirit of Ms Fossey, I have crafted a list of things I miss from home while living abroad. Not to be biased, a list of things I miss while living Stateside will follow.


Things from the U.S.A. that I miss while in Japan:

  • One box of YUMMY Triscuits
  • A real oven
  • Diet Pepsi (not something I drink often, but every now and then in the summertime)
  • English reading materials: books, magazines, local news, cereal boxes, etc.
  • Deodorant (I found Japanese deodorant doesn’t work for me, but luckily I knew that and stocked up before I came this time!)
  • Peanut Butter
  • Rooms (as in, an apartment with more than one)
  • A bed - not that we have anywhere to put one...
  • Halloween Oreo Cookies (David misses these, too!)
  • A clothes dryer
  • Another box of YUMMY Triscuits

No comments: