Saturday, December 29, 2012

DIY

How to enjoy Lemon Liquor:

Step 1: Go to the store and buy it.


OR

Have a landlady, a lemon tree, and a sense of adventure.

Oh, and a DIY fruit liquor kit also helps a great deal.



The jar comes filled with "white liquor." I don't know; I didn't ask.



But according to a website I read, any clear alcohol will do. The author prefers grain alcohol to vodka, but accepts vodka as the easiest option.


The lemons come from our landlady's garden. I know they look a little orange today, but they were quite yellow last week. And from the aroma no washing can remove from my fingers, I can vouch they are, indeed, lemons rather than oranges.







Into the jar of white liquor goes the peel and the cut-up lemons. 

And then we wait.

In this picture, we're waiting for our landlady's husband to come back with the sugar. After that, it's put into a corner where I will forget about it for a week, and then a month, and then possibly even another month.

If it goes well, I can make anything into "Seasonal Fruit Liquor." Even avocado, according to the Japanese website, but I think I'll stick to lemons for now

No comments: