Saturday, March 03, 2012

The Work of Being Married

Getting married is more than getting a cool new last name. Now I have to remember all the places I have my name written down and change it in all those places. Not least of all, I have to remember to change it in my own head. It is a bit overwhelming, and I don’t even know where to begin.

No, that’s a lie. I guess I have an idea, because I went to the DMV in order to change the name on my drivers license today. I handed the clerk the requisite marriage certificate and old driver’s license.

Clerk: Have a seat and wait for your name to be called.
Me: Okay.
Clerk: Heather Green.

(Pause)

Me: Oh! Right!

Oops.

And that’s why we walked into the building in the first place. I can’t wait until we’re out and about and I begin ignoring people simply because I forget my own name.

No comments: