Thursday, November 01, 2012

Whisky, Round 2

My path toward “whisky snob” began several years ago while playing nanny for the Jordon family. Others had offered whisky to me before, but I was not impressed. Mr Jordon, however, brought out a bottle of The Balvenie DoubleWood, and life would never be the same. When David and I got together, I introduced him to The Balvenie DoubleWood, and his path through whisky toward connoisseur was sealed.

Together, we have since been to the home of The Balvenie to pay our homage and thank the distillers for saving us from cheap whiskey. And now, our quest for quality continues.


Distillery: Nikka
Expression: Miyagikyo
Age: No age given
Price: 1500 yen ($18)

Verdict: This whisky has a stronger flavour than the Yoichi: perhaps more medicinal and less sweet. I got the distinct impression of liquorice, both in the initial aroma and in the aftertaste. I don’t mind liquorice, but it is not my favourite. For that reason, I probably won’t be buying this one again.

Comparing Yoichi and Miyagikyo, I prefer the Yoichi.

For more information on Miyagikyo whisky, see:
Nonjatta, a Japanese whisky blog
or
The Nikka distillery website

To enter the world of Japanese whisky, I found this to be a good introduction: Japanese Whisky Primer

No comments: