Thursday, July 19, 2012

Summer Noise


I woke up yesterday morning to an awful noise. I thought the bike shop across the street was working on a particularly injured moped. "Is the shop even open yet? Did I sleep so long?"

Going to the screen door, I saw nothing unusual, and the noise was not coming from the bike shop. It was coming from a nearby tree. Finally my brain woke up enough to realise: it must be cicadas!

At home I love late summer for the cicada song. In Tokyo I never heard cicadas, and was bummed both summers I lived there. In Tokushima, though, it is different.  The cicadas have a different pitch, a different rhythm. It’s not the enjoyable hum I love.

Who knew there are different kinds of cicadas, each with their own song?

This morning, they did not wake me up. Maybe I’ll get used to the new song.

No comments: